We are testing out online applications through our data entry program.

Please click on the following link  to take an application for your child for the 2017-2018 or 2018-2019 school year. After the application is submitted, a staff person will contact you to verify information and complete the application process. All children that are age and income eligible will be placed on the waitlist of which we pick from until April 2018 for 2017-2018. The next program year will be for 2018-2019 which will begin in August 2018.

Please note: Your child must turn three BEFORE August 1, 2018 or turn five AFTER July 31, 2018 or they will not be eligible for the 2018-2019 school year.

If you would like to take an application for the sibling of a currently enrolled child, please do not fill out this application. Please contact your local center.


1. Child’s birth certificate or hospital record

2. Proof of income:

  • Last year’s income tax return
  • Current SSI printout from Social Security office
  • Social Security Disability 1099 form or printout from Social Security office for all members of the  family
  • Current TANF printout from Family Support Division
  • If you do not have the above, a letter from all employers stating gross wages and beginning and ending dates of employment.

**If you do not have all of these, your contact person will help you.


Income: The child’s income must fall below the poverty guidelines of the Administration for Children and Families. Click here to see poverty guidelines 2016.  (We realize that these guidelines are low; however, this is a federal funding requirement.)

Age: Must be 3-years-old before August 1 and not be school-age (5-years-old before August 1).  Older children have higher priority.

Once age and income guidelines are met, selection is based on those with the highest priorities:

No caregiver in the home:  Both parents are working, in school or on disability or a combination of these or a single parent who meets one of these criteria receive higher priority.

Disability: Children enrolled in the school’s early childhood special education program receive higher priority.  Head Start must serve 10% children with disabilities.

Exception: Over-income children who are enrolled in the public school’s early childhood special education program will be considered if Head Start would be the best placement.

Special family circumstances also are given higher priority:  These are homelessness, living in a shelter, abuse or neglect, incarceration of a parent; recent death or terminal illness of immediate family member, disability or mental illness of immediate family member; suspected disability of the applicant child; and/or children living in a home other than a child’s parent    (e.g. relative) who has legal custody of the child.

Note: Parents can explain the above special circumstances.  A professional such as a doctor or Parents As Teachers needs to write a referral letter explaining other special circumstances or problems of the child or family.